Imagine a Canada where no one is left out. A Canada that does not just accommodate disability, but one that is disability inclusive from the start. That is the Canada we are creating – for everyone.
Thank you to everyone who joined us in person and online to celebrate National AccessAbility Week 2023!
It was an unusual NAAW here in Halifax, taking place as it did under a state of emergency. But our staff adapted, our clients and community partners still came out, and we all found ways to celebrate the inclusive community spirit that endures in our city throughout good times and bad.
If you missed out on celebrating the folks in our community who strive for greater inclusion and accessibility all year round, it’s not too late! You can still participate in our Joy Sparks Project by joining the community forum, and you can watch our digital NAAW content on our YouTube page. Just click the buttons below!
Please note that the following schedule of events is hosted by reachAbility and subject to change. To stay informed, we encourage you to stay tuned to this page and to our social media feeds. (Links in footer.)
Formal opening of NAAW 2023
– Our CEO, Tova Sherman, and Halifax Mayor Mike Savage will kick off NAAW with virtual messages on our YouTube channel!
The Accessibility Policy Project for Festivals and Events
– In partnership with TD and reachArts. CEO Tova Sherman will release details of our new accessibility toolkit for festival organizers on our Youtube channel.
The Pet Project: News from NEO
– Highlighting how introducing a therapy dog to the workplace has benefitted our staff and clients.
– Focusing on health benefits and positive mental health.
13 corporate partners joining reachAbility for NAAW
– Find out more about our NAAW 2023 corporate and community partners and how they’re supporting accessibility and inclusion in the workplace. Check out our YouTube page for partner interviews.
– On disability confidence for Medavie – Blue Cross team.
– On disability confidence and inclusion for Annapolis Valley Regional Library team.
Flag Raising and the Proclamation Ceremony with the annual presentation of the Mel Hebb Hourglass Action Awards
-May 29th, 2023 from 8:30 AM – 11:00 AM at the Grand Parade and Halifax Hall
What Sparks Joy in your life?
– Welcome to the Joy Sparks Project! These accessible, virtual sessions are designed to help you spark joy in your daily life.
– Contribute to the Joy Sparks Community Forum before June 2nd for a chance to win one of five $100 gift cards!
– On disability confidence for the NSLC HR Team. Learn more about our training sessions and keynote speakers here.
Client Success Stories
– Check out our YouTube channel and our TikTok account as we release testimonials from reachAbility clients talking about their successes, the barriers they have overcome, and their experiences at reachAbility.
Hire & Seek (POSTPONED DUE TO ONGOING STATE OF EMERGENCY)
– The reachAbility team will be inviting seven inclusive and accommodating employers to our offices to meet with job seekers. Pre-book your interviews with the employers of your choice! Click here to register. (Please note as of May 30th this event has been postponed due to the ongoing State of Emergency in Halifax. We will announce the replacement event date soon on our social accounts.)
Hiring & Retaining Diverse Populations: Building Your Inclusion Toolkit
– A full-day of training committed to providing the hiring team of NSLC all the tools they require to identify and address barriers in the onboarding process of persons with disabilities.
AAW Nova Scotia
– Scholarships luncheon with NSLEO from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM at the Halifax Tower Hotel.
reachAbility’s Scholarship Announcement
– Our CEO, Tova Sherman, will unveil details of our new scholarship to benefit entrepreneurs with disabilities on our YouTube page.
– “Everyone Welcome: The Win,Win, Win of Inclusion” will be presented by Tova Sherman virtually to Public Safety Canada
Partners to Partners – Celebrating Accessibility at reachAbility
Join reachAbility and our province-wide partners from 1-3pm at our offices at 201-3845 Joseph Howe Drive as we share resources, tools, great food, and prizes!
Closing of NAAW 2023
Thank you to all our partners, clients, employees, and to everyone who celebrates accessibility, inclusion, and the overcoming overcoming of barriers this week and throughout the year!
If you would like to know more about reachAbility’s NAAW events, or if you are interested in hosting your own event during NAAW anywhere in Nova Scotia, we want to hear from you! Reach out to us using the form below:
We extend our heartfelt gratitude to our partners and sponsors for supporting this virtual, interactive, and accessible event, which is free and open to all Canadians. Join us as we bring together a diverse group of individuals who will share insights and shape accessible and inclusive communities and workplaces across Canada.